Friday, January 19, 2007

I had a friend ask me last night if I had heard anything about Barack Obama being associated with Muslims. I hadn't heard anything, so I did some research.

I already knew that his father was from Kenya, and there are lots of Muslims in Africa, so this is where I started. Come to find out, his father and grandfather were Muslims. But he wasn't raised by his father, his father left his mother when Barack was 2 years old.

Barack and his family are members of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. I know that this question originated from an email that she received, but that makes me question who sent it. I know that running for President opens the candidated up for scrutiny, but any criticism needs to be looked at carefully.

I guess whoever wrote that email was trying to associate Barack's background with terrorism, and that's just wrong. This is a man who wants all people to have a chance. He wants all people to have the right to discuss their faith and for everyone to understand that their faith isn't always telling the truth.

I think Barack is a well spoken man who is compassionate and very informed. And I think he would make a great President.

2 comments:

DarthImmortal said...

I think Obama is starting to frighten the right wing so they are starting rumors like this one to curtail his popularity.

I like him but I am still not sure about his position on many of the issues.

leisa said...

I'm not with him on everything, but if it were between him and Guiliani or McCain, he'd get my vote.

I don't think it's necessarily "the right" starting the rumors. I think it's just one of those things that happens in politics. Not everyting is a right-wing conspiracy! :) (but then again, it could be).

The whole Muslim thing is bunk, though.

I just wish he didn't smoke cigarettes.

Did you see him on Conan O'Brein. he was really funny. Not crazy about his cracks about Bush, but whatever. Overall it was really cute. Go look it up on YouTube if you haven't seen it. Definitely worth a chuckle or two...