Friday, January 12, 2007

You Get What You Vote For

How true is that statement in the case of New Orleans?

When the citizens of New Orleans re-elected Ray Nagin mayor, I knew that was a mistake. This is what I posted after the election that put Nagin back in office:

Here we go again. Yesterday, the city of New Orleans held it's first election after Hurricane Katrina hit. This election was so that the citizens of that city could choose their mayor. Now, if I were a resident of New Orleans, I would definitly think twice before I cast a vote for Ray Nagin. That man needs to go. He propagates the sentiment of racism so blatently, I don't see how anyone could vote for him. Yet they did. He received 33% of the vote, while Mitch Landrieu received 28%. These two will be in a runoff in a month and I hope every voter who voted for someone else will vote for Landrieu.

Can I call it or what? I know that I didn't predict what would happen, but I knew they would be better off without Nagin. Now what's happening? There have been 12 murders since January 1st. Today is the 12th. Hello? That's one a day. Actually, on one night, there were 6. ON ONE NIGHT!

Now they threaten to elect someone who will do the right thing. WHAT? Nagin was an idiot before the hurricane, he was an idiot during the catastrophe, he was an idiot when he was re-elected and he is still an idiot. If all of the people who abandoned New Orleans would not have been able to vote, since they had lived outside of the city for more than 6 months and since they will probably never return, maybe the outcome would have been different.

I still think that the people of the Ninth Ward need to get off their asses. Only now they need to get off their asses in the towns where they are residing because they are causing problems there now. The Ninth Ward looks like it does today because none of those people can restore their homes because they were on welfare and had no homeowners insurance to get back what they lost.

Yeah, I know, they were flooded, but that happened two days after the hurricane and a court has ruled that in at least one case, State Farm has to pay because the damage cannot be determined to have been caused by water rather than wind, so that has set the precedent. Now more people can get paid.

They got what they voted for and now they are paying the price with lives.

2 comments:

DarthImmortal said...

Ray Nagen was elected because he was the lesser of two evils. Mitch Landrieu’s very conservative approach is not what the area needed either. The problem is we do not have enough good people running for office.

leisa said...

I think anybody, including Landrieu would have been better than Mister "Let's make this a chocolate city."

Nagin is a cry-baby, whiner, naysayer, fool.