Sunday, February 04, 2007

The HPV Vaccine

The state of Texas, per an order from the governor, will now be requiring that girls entering the 6th grade in 2008 to be vaccinated against HPV. I think this is a good thing.

I have friends, however, who will take offense to this. I understand that I have boys and don't have to deal with it, but if I had a girl, I would get the vaccine for her. It only makes sense. This vaccine will protect against a very deadly disease and does not promote pre-marital sex.

As far as I am concerned, it is the parents' job to talk to their children about having sex before they are married. Parents need to instill the correct values in their children and hope that they make the right choices. Whether they have the vaccine or not, many teens are still having sex. Why not protect them?

1 comment:

leisa said...

Well, here's what I think about it. I think that if we have a widespread life-threatening illness and there is a proactive solution, that we should use it.

I think there are too many kids at risk with no parents to teach them right from wrong, abstinence, safe sex. If their parents aren't smart enough to teach them, then they're probably not smart enough to voluntarily have their child immunized.

Bottom line: I wish no school-age girl ever had to worry about any STD. But the reality is that they do. Since this is life-threatening, I can't say that I oppose Rick Perry's decision.

There are aspects of this that still concern me a little, but in the big picture I think it's the smart thing to do.