Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Am Not Buying It At All

Keep trying to sell it but I am not buying it.

The conversation on Oprah for the last two days has been about this whole damned Imus situation and the dialogue it has started. But these people that are talking are just so ignorant.

They actually are trying to make us believe that the hip hop culture is what it is because of poverty and that there is nothing we can do to change it. PLEASE! They say that all the hip hoppers know is poverty and that they are uneducated. Yeah, that's the way they like it.

Look at every black housing project and the majority of the people you will find there will be on welfare and driving a new Cadillac. They want the nice things, but they want it given to them because they think they are entitled because they were held as slaves over 200 years ago.

I did not own slaves. I am not to blame for that. I got an education. I am teaching my children that all people are the same. My husband and I work for what we have. I came from extreme poverty, but I did not stay there. My husband came from poverty, he did not stay there. We did not expect the government to just spoon feed us for the rest of our lives.

As soon as that segment of socity learns that they cannot depend on the government to give them food stamps and housing assistance then they will rise out of poverty. As soon as they finish high school and get in to college, ANY COLLEGE, then the education they receive will allow them to rise up out of poverty.

College is not affordable for anyone these days. Unless you are in the top 1% of the wealthy, you will not be able to send your kids to college without assistance. But for the rest of us, the assistance is out there. Both of my sisters went to college through financial aid grants. They are available to anyone who applies in a timely manner. Especially those with the lowest of incomes.

So, don't say that college is not accessible. Work for it if you can't get a grant. Many a college student is working their way through school. ANYONE can, black, white, hispanic or Asian. Stop using lack of education and lack of jobs as an excuse and get out there and work. There's a McDonald's on every corner. Get a job.

No comments: