Whoopi Goldberg really blew it in my opinion. I didn't see The View this morning, but I read what she said and I am really appalled.
As a southerner, I don't think that dog fighting and killing is indicative of the south. I don't think it is part of his cultural upbringing. I think it is a culture borne our of greed and hatred and pure ignorance. And arrogance. How arrogant is it that a man can raise animals to be mean and evil and then bet on them and think that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing?
I am offended by Whoopi's remarks today. I take offense that one more person would put another unneeded stigma on the south and the people who live here.
2 years ago

























2 comments:
I saw the episode in question and in my view (no pun intended) *wink* she really wasn't defending him as much as she was offering a possible explanation as to what would make a person do something like this.
And really...when you think about it...in the south, we do live in a culture that devalues animals. Not to say that each individual devalues animals -- certainly not. But think about the "redneck" culture that kills hunting dogs when they don't get the kill and so forth.
So while I think what MV did was despicable, I really think Whoopi thinks it was, too. She even said something along the lines of, "I'm not making an excuse for him. And I'm not saying it's right or okay."
It was more of her just wondering if this could be part of a cultural thing.
That was just my take on what Whoopi said. I honestly didn't see it as controversial in the least when I saw it -- and when I read about it, I thought that what she said was HIGHLY misrepresented.
I just don't think there IS an explanation as to what would make anyone do something like this except that they are mean and stupid.
Anyone trying to defend them or explain their actions is just making the problem bigger. No one knows what was in his head as he killed those dogs except him.
I just don't like it, as a born and bred Texan and Southerner, that one more person is stereotyping the south as just a bunch of hicks who have nothing better to do than kill dogs and other stupid activities.
Some of us are pretty smart. Some of us know what is right and what is wrong. Why can't we ever be represented?
Post a Comment