Sunday, October 28, 2007

Been A Little Busy

I have been a little busy lately, that explains the lack of posting. But, I have not been totally out of the loop as far as current events go.

California Wildfires

I have been watching the news as California has been burning. It is just a tragedy. To see homes completely destroyed and then to see homes just across a street not touched and the grass still green is just more than one can comprehend. And the poor reporter who stood by, on a live shot, right in front of his home as it burned to the ground - just tragic.

But I also listened to all the comparisons to New Orleans after Katrina. How the comments were that the officials were more prepared and that everything went more smoothly in California. Doesn't anybody get it? The people in California have a work ethic that the people in the ninth ward didn't have. They didn't expect everything to be given to them, they went into the Qualcomm Center peacefully and were grateful for all they were given and they didn't tear things up and riot because they were not being coddled. The people in California are the real heroes. They have shown us that even in the face of great tragedy, things do not have to be crazy. I still think if the people in New Orleans weren't handed everything by the government, they would have taken the devastation in a different direction than "where's what you owe me".

Genarlow Wilson

Have you followed this story? If not, you should look it up.

Genarlow Wilson was convicted two years ago of felony aggravated child molestation, this for having consensual oral sex with a minor who was 15. Genarlow was 17. This was sex between two teenagers. Genarlow was sentenced to 10 years in prison. This was the mandatory minimum sentence under Georgia law. The jury did not know what the mandatory sentence was at the time of the conviction.

How wrong was this? They were both teenagers and he didn't force the girl to do anything. He was offered a plea deal that would have released him a while back, but would have had him register as a sex offender. He rejected the plea deal and stood his ground on priciple. He was not a rapist, nor was he a child molester.

On Friday, Genarlow was released from prison after his conviction was ruled unconstitutional by the Georgia Supreme Court. He will not have to register as a sex offender and he is free to continue his life.

And in local news...

Please vote yes on the BISD bond issue. Help our district improve the conditions of our schools. No matter what you think about the stadium...our schools need the improvement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the details on the BISD bond issue? no kids in school yet. Don't really know much about it. Will look up the details on the Wilson individual. Consensual sex between minors, while of course it should be discouraged, should not carry a criminal sentence when it is indeed consensual. Horrid. leisa

Kim said...

I like what Rick Sanchez said on CNN the other night. I am not sure if I would like the authorities getting in the mix if it were my kids. I think it is a family matter to be handled by parents. I think sex between consenting minors should be discouraged, but making it criminal is just going way too far.