The problem I have is that she is totally venting about how these people are acting holier-than-thou, and you know what I mean, saying one thing and then sitting in church and acting like they are so much better than they are. They sit and they listen to the word of God and then walk right out the door of the church and wonder why someone wore what they did to church, or why so-and-so has the gall to come to church with a tattoo on their arm. This is in total disagreement with what God asks us to do in the text that was just used in the sermon they just sat and said "Amen" to a thousand times. They talk about these people as if they are not good enough to worship with them because they do not look the way they think they should.
AND, THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ELECTED GEORGE W. BUSH. This does not seem to come in to the conversation. She is totally a conservative Republican, and this is fine. I do not quarrel with her opinions, I just defend my own and know we both have the rights to each. She wrote:
I don't like church anymore because I've seen too many people get hurt
in church. I've seen too many people leave churches with broken hearts and
crushed spirits. Over the past fifteen-plus years, I've seen pastors, leaders
and church-people rip each other to shreds. I've seen ministries fall apart,
churches divide, people leave brokenhearted and I've even see people walk away
from their faith in God. It just does not seem worth the damage I've seen it
cause over and over and over again.
I just think that it is a hypocrisy that she is saying the things she is without
realizing that she really sides with these people.

























8 comments:
Hey Kim. I'm glad you're finally updating your blog. I've been checking for a couple of months now!
Do you mean that I am one of them because I voted for Bush or because I vote for conservatives now? I'm not sure I understand?
There was a time that I was definitely one of them. I will not argue with that one bit. But I feel and see things differently now than I used to.
Conservative voting does not always equal evangelistic or religious voting if that's what you mean. I am the biggest opponent of Huckabee you will find. And if Bush were running now, I would not vote for him. I am very disillusioned with Bush right now, and while I don't think he is the evil man many think him to be, I do feel let down by him these last years.
I'm not trying to defend myself because you are right in saying that I have been one of those people. I most definitely WAS one of those people. But I really don't think I am anymore. Just because I vote conservative Republican doesn't mean you know exactly where I stand on each issue. You would probably be surprised. I have changed my opinion on many things.
Abortion. I still feel life begins at conception. Life is life. It's wrong to take a life. I would like to see abortion severely restricted to the point that almost no abortions are allowed. But I would like for exceptions to be allowed. how that would be put in place I have no idea. But who am I to say that there are not severe situations where the law should not be able to dictate what should be between a woman and her family and God. I know many of my Christian friends would be stunned to hear this from me. But it's what I believe. I think I've always believed it but been too afraid to even believe I believed it.
That's just an example. I've become more honest with my true feelings on these issues. There is room for grace. Period. Where I am conservative is on the issues of economics, foreign policy - like that. So please don't be so quick to assume. We haven't talked in a while. A lot has changed with me.
You may be right...maybe I am a hypocrite. But I really hope not.
On the abortion comment above: it came out wrong.
All I'm trying to say is that I've tried to take the "all or nothing" out of it. It's not up to me to decide in those extreme circumstances like rape or incest what should happen. Some things are best left in God's hands.
That's what I've decided to do with all of these social issues: abortion, homosexuality...all of it. Leave it in God's hands. God says to love him and love our neighbor. He didn't say love him and then go out and end abortion and gay marriage. He said love him and love our neighbor. So that's how I want to live my life and teach my children to live their lives. With grace and love.
I want to care more about whether or not my neighbor is fed than whehter or not they are gay or have a tattoo. Those things are not up to me. God did not ask me to change anybody. He just asked me to love him and love them. That's it.
Anyway...rambling again...
Just wanted to clarify that one comment because it didn't look right. It looked too preachy once I read it. Ick.
I meant politically siding with them. You have to admit that if the Republican candidate were a true conservative and also a professed Christian Coalition member, that is probably who you would vote for. And so would all those "church people".
Heck, my mom seems to think Ron Paul is great. Talk about ick!
Oh ICK is right! What is wrong with these people and Ron Paul?
To address your statement: well, let's see. The so-called Christian, evangelical candidate right now is Huckabee. Go look at my blog and see what I have to say about him. I think Huckabee is HORRIBLE. And don't even get me started on Ron Paul. He is the most horrible thing that ever happened to the Republican party.
So honestly, no, I am going way against the grain on what evangelicals are saying politically.
There was a time that your statement would have been dead on. But not anymore. I would vote for Clinton or Obama any day before I'd vote for Huckabee or Paul. Any day.
I tend to think for myself more these days.
I think it is ironic that, in your "about me" section, you feel that it is not your place to judge anyone, but this blog post is simply dripping with judgements about 'church people'.
Guess what? My best friend is a 'church person'...with two tattoos. I know several friends who voted Bush who do not have a 'holier-than-thou' persona.
The truth is, you generalize the very people you criticise for generalizing others. When you point fingers, maybe you should start taking notice of the three fingers pointing back at you.
Sasha, I don't know you and you do not know me. You do not know that I have had personal experience with exactly the people I spoke about. I did not say they did not have the right to act the way they do, it's just that's how they are.
I have no problem with anyone having tattoos. I was commenting on what my "friend" said. I grew up with people criticizing me because I could not afford the most expensive clothes and such. I also grew up in a church where it was expected that if you did not come to church dressed to the nines you weren't worshipping the correct way. Which was totally ironic since most of the people that attended the church could not afford what was expected.
If you will read it again, this post is not a judgement but a commentary. An opinion. Stop being so sensitive. Seems like I offended you because maybe it fits.
Unfortunately, I grew up in one of those churches, too, and it sickens me. And I used to be very bitter/judgemental at their narrow-minded hypocrisy, but then I found that not every Christian out there is that shallow. I've also known genuine people.
My point was simply let's not come down to their level by being the same kind of people. Let's rise above.
You know, I try not to come down to their level. I am not perfect though.
I really do think that everyone should have their opinion and the right to express it. I just get annoyed when they do it in a way that seems hypocritical. I see that too much. I don't think that calling it as I see it is judgemental.
I have asked that so called "friend" through a post not to read my blog any longer because of her hypocrisy. I hope she abides by my wishes. She would have banned you and not even posted your comment because she does not know who you are but yet she thinks that you have a right to discuss what she posts. She just wants you to agree with her.
Post a Comment