Lately I have been attacked for my views on the economy, the President and my OCD about spelling and grammar. Well I am tired of it. I will say this one last thing about my political views, let you know where they come from.
I grew up being told that people who were different than me weren't worth my time. Basically that was the point. It wasn't worth my time to be friends with them, worship with them, swim with them...get the picture? And by people who were different than me, I mean Blacks, Hispanics, homosexuals...anyone that was not a white anglo-saxon protestant, yes a WASP. But that WASP had to be heterosexual. That was important.
This was preached, yes preached, to me from a pulpit. My family was always in the pews. My family had been attending that church and listening to that preacher for MANY years before I was born and for MANY years after. Our church building sat in a predominately black area of town and if one of the neighbors who was black walked in the church, services were over. Lock the doors and go home over. It got to the point that when we were having services, the front door was locked...heck all the doors were locked. It didn't end at the color of your skin or your sexual preference, friends who were brought to church and happened to be, say, Catholic were publicly criticized for their beliefs...from the pulpit. I finally got real.
When I was 17, I realized that I didn't have to listen to this anymore. The preacher died, but one of my uncles who worshipped the ground the man walked on took over. I wasn't listening to this crap anymore. I wasn't going to be told any longer that people who I thought were friends weren't good enough to be my friend. I wasn't going to be told any longer that belonging to another religion was wrong. I knew better. It was time I did better.
It was time I stood up and said that all these years, everything this man said was wrong. I never went back to that church. I started making decisions for myself what was good for me. I guess that was where my political views started differing from my family. My family still wants someone to decide for them, like Republicans do when it comes to a woman's right to choose. My family still wants someone to decide for them which health insurance they have to use, and to that end let someone else decide which doctors to use. My family still wants someone to decide for them. I don't.
I want to decide for myself. If I needed to, I would want to decide whether or not to end a pregnancy, not have some law that some Republican, Christian coalition member made decide for me. I want to be able to decide which health insurance I can afford and which doctors I want to use. If that is the definintion of Liberal, then stamp it on me. All I know is, I keep getting quoted the Bible every time I state my opinion. But I know that God gave us all a conscience. That is free will...to decide what I think is right for me and it is for me to get it right with God.
I don't know a lot about economics. I have never taken it in school. I have not graduated from college like my sisters, I don't have two degrees like they each have. I just know that I have kids that I have to raise to the best of my ability and that I have to show the right way to treat people and the right way to behave. It is my responsibility to raise them to have a moral compass. It is my responsibility to teach them ethics. I think I am doing that. James and I are doing that.
I don't have a college education, but I am always learning. I take pride in the fact that I can spell. What is wrong with that? I take pride in the fact that my kids have friends who are of all races and religions. I love seeing Nicholas sitting in his room playing with Nicholas (who is black), Dason (who is Filipino), and Josh (whose mom is white and dad is black). And Nicholas doesn't see the difference in them. That makes me feel like I am doing something right.
I like that none of my kids has never used the n-word and probably never will because they know, because I taught them that it is unacceptable. They will never first look at a person's skin and form their opinion just from that because I taught them not too. They will not tell a woman that she doesn't have a right to do what she wants with her body, because I taught them that it is her choice. They will never tell anyone that being a Catholic or a Muslim, a Baptist or a Methodist, theat they are wrong for it because I taught them that everyone has a right to worship as they choose.
Because I taught them.
3 years ago

























7 comments:
I remember one time a little old lady, who happened to be black, came in during church and sat down in the back. Me and Stacy knew what was about to happen...all of the sudden the sermon turned to a racial sermon...how blacks and whites shouldn't be in church together. Wish I could've left. But, instead I always wore what I wanted (jeans with holes and Metallica shirts) cause I knew it irritated them. No, that wasn't the right way to handle things...but it was fun anyways!
I don't know everything about economics either (I barely made a "C" in both classes). I just wanted to point out that the President has no "real" control over the economy, no matter who he is. I'm not going to trash Clinton or praise Bush, I don't keep up with that crap...I think they all make promises they can't keep because once they are President they learn all of the secrets in the secret book and then all of their plans are flushed down the toilet. Haven't you seen National Treasure II???
I remember more times that one when church was just OVER when someone walked in who that idiot didn't think should be there. Remember how he just humiliated Charlotte Pizzo? The man was an idiot.
No, I have not seen National Treasure, one or two. I know they all make promised they can't keep. But they do have an influence, you cannot deny that.
Kim, this is one of those times when I feel funky being in the Christian/Republican camp. Sometimes we can be so nasty.
Whoever taught you that people who were different from you weren't worth your time must have forgotten a tiny little lesson that Jesus taught. You know, the one he said was THE most important over all - love God with all you got and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF!
Let me just state for the record here: for whatever it's worth, I listen to what you say here on your blog. I listen, and I think about it and take it in. I have no desire to attack you, but instead I think you're pretty great.
It would be nice to be able to just talk about what you believe in a friendly forum, right?
I'm really sorry you're being attacked. :( I wish we could all just respect each other's right to believe what we believe and to just be kind to each other about it.
Quoting the Bible AT people seems to me to be an especially good way to turn people away from the intended purpose. "AT" being the key word here. It's the whole attitude behind it that's key. The Bible should be used with respect - and if these people are not respecting you when they shove these Scripture at you, then they are not respecting God. Period.
Anyway...I just get a little riled up every time I think about your childhood church. I've typed and erased about ten times what I've written. I better stop now.
leisa
Thanks Leisa! You are always a great voice for the Christian/Republican side. You do not attack, instead you know how to listen and it is appreciated. We may not always agree on the issue, but we can discuss it without the attacking that some others do. I wrote that in a post to the crazy person on the newspaper web site. I stated that I have friends who are Republican and do not attack me - I mostly meant you.
My childhood in that church was not fun. I am still learning how to deal with it, and sometimes I may not handle it correctly. I am asking questions to the right people and coming to understand things so differently.
Thanks for reading my blog! I love getting comments from you! Update your blog soon!
Okay! I have to ROFLMAO at this entry! I think Stacy and I were talking about this thing not so long ago. First off, let me say that I am Christian (I attend a wonderful hand-raising, dancing in the aisles, running-'round-the-building-while-speaking-in-tongues kinda place), I usually vote republican (I really don't think that I dislike making up my own mind....wadda you think? wink), and I am against abortion except in the case of rape, incest, or danger to the mother (I lost 3 children and I can't fathom deliberately ending a life). That said, I experienced, firsthand, the type of prejudice you talk about in this particular church. The first time I remember it happening is when someone brought a Catholic fellow to church, and strangely enough J.B.D.'s whole sermon was on how the Catholic church was the great whore mentioned in the Bible, and how, as Christians, we shouldn't worship the Pope. Even at the young age I was, I cringed on the inside knowing that the young man who was visiting was being deliberately humiliated.
Anyway, people who know me know that ~sweet smile~ I met and married a really sweet Mormon guy. I was totally content with the whole "family is forever" thing (at least until I learned he would have the "power" to call me from my grave using my supersecret temple name, but only if he felt I had been a worthy wife....I'm superserial!... but all that is another story). Mom and Dad wanted us to visit the church in question, and I talked my husband into going. Imagine my surprise (I'm being very, very sarcastic here) when J.B.D.'s whole sermon was on the evils of the Mormon church. I only wish that I had listened to my husband and got up and left; I didn't because I was afraid of how it would look, and how angry my already angry parents would be. Hindsight is 20/20.
A lot of damage was done to a lot of people because of one man's hostility, prejudice, and stubborness. The really, really disturbing part is that so many people listened to what he had to say and followed his way of thinking without question. Even today, a little voice in the back of my mind rares its ugly head and questions whether blacks and whites should be in the same worship building (we have all kinds of people at our church and it's wonderful!); I know that that sad little voice is a result of listening to the rantings and ravings of a poor old bigot for so many years.
I am thankful for my church, and for the former drug addict who is my Pastor. He is such an inspiration, and I have never felt more loved and accepted as I do when I walk through the doors of Grace Community. God is good, All the time!
Isn't it funny how we remember that church and how our parents remember it? It's like to them it was totally normal for him to preach that way. Still today there is a defense of that man that is incomprehensible. Daddy will tell you how it is though regarding J.B.D.
Oh, the sun still rises and sets with that man's word as far as my mom is concerned.
He was so ugly with daddy, sometimes. When I said something to daddy after J.B.D. was dead and gone, he bristled a little, and then went on to say that they had "made peace" with each other. I have no idea what that means, and I was too surprised to ask him. I just let it go.
What I find interesting about all of us is that we are such a hodgepodge when it comes to religion. We have Baptists, of course, but also Assembly of God, Catholic, and Non-Denom; I'm curious to know what other religions our family participates in.
Kim, you are doing such a wonderful job on the McDuffie Reunion blog. You've inspired me to start my own blog. I'll probably call it.. "The Rantings of an Insane Middle School Teacher"... heheheh. Thank you for all of your hard work.
Post a Comment