Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dr. Michael DeBakey and Dr. Denton Cooley

I don't know how many of you read about the death of Dr. Michael DeBakey. Dr. DeBakey was a pioneer in the field of cardiovascular surgery. His brilliance led to, among other things, a device called the roller pump that led to the invention of the heart-lung bypass machine, the first coronary artery bypass surgery, the first to use the left ventricular bypass pump, and most recently , Dr. DeBakey invented a smaller venticular assist device that helped ease suffering of patients waiting for a transplant.

Dr. DeBakey, I guess since he was 12 years older, helped shape the career of Dr. Denton Cooley. Why is this important to me, you ask? Let me tell you. Dr. Denton Cooley saved my life, and in effect, so did Dr. DeBakey. DeBakey and Cooley worked together pioneering heart surgery. Together, they have probably done more heart surgeries than any other heart surgeons. Dr. DeBakey pioneered the surgery to repair a damaged aorta.

See, I was born with a heart defect. My aorta was defective at birth. No one knew this until I was 15 mos. old. They knew something was wrong. I had lots of trouble breathing. I had to be administered CPR twice two weeks before my first birthday. Read what my mother wrote on my birthday:



This didn't stop the problem and I went another 3 months before my pediatrician, who I still remember today, diagnosed the problem and sent me to Houston. This is where Dr. Cooley comes in. He was at Texas Children's Hospital. He did the surgery to repair my heart defect:



I know that Dr. Cooley learned from Dr. DeBakey. I know that they are both responsible for my being here. When I was in the hospital before I turned one, when I was essentially dead TWICE, the doctors told my mother that since I was without oxygen so long, I would probably be a "vegetable" - not able to do anything for myself. Not walk, talk, feed myself...nothing. Not only can I do all those things and more, I have three handsome boys.

I would love to meet Dr. Cooley. I would love to show him what my mother wrote. I would love to thank him. I would love to have my boys meet him. I would love to say thank you.

God speed, Dr. DeBakey. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, I think this is my favorite post on any blog ever. I loved it. Very inspiring! :)
leisa