Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Want To Be More Popular

I have been reading lots of blogs lately and am finding them very interesting. One thing I do not understand is how they become so darn popular.

One I read every day is Scribbit. This is a blog about family and much more. She does giveaways, has write-in contests and recipes. I enjoy this blog. It is well thought out, well executed and just fun. I have entered some of her giveaways, but have not won as of yet. She seems to have thousands of readers and contributors. She has lots of ads and makes money from this blog. How? How does she do this? How does she make her blog that interesting that companies want to advertise on it? What makes it that good?

Another blog I read is just a family blog. It is called The Mommy Machine. This blog is totally about family. There are no ads, no giveaways, nothing as organized as Scribbit. But it is fun reading about the life of a family in Alaska. She takes the weekend off, not posting on Saturday or Sunday, and always has a great little tidbit to share. I really like her blog and read it every morning. But she seems to be popular as well. She has lots of blogs linked from hers. (This is where I find blogs I read, links on other blogs.)

But then, there is one that I read today that I just do not understand it's appeal. It is called Dooce. This woman has actually started earning enough money through her blog to support her family. How? Her posts are laden with expletives and stories about her love life with her husband. I don't understand why that is appealing. I do not want to read a blog with more expletives than real words and I do not care how many times a day she and her husband "party", as she puts it. What is the appeal? I just do not get it. And this woman earns her family's living doing this? Doesn't make sense.

I just wish that I had more readers than I do. I appreciate the ones I have. But I would like to be a little more popular. Since I started keeping track in January, 2007, I have only had 1,573 visitors. That is the pits. So, maybe when I have my 2000th visitor, I will have to give something away. I am not sure what, but I will think of something. Maybe that will make me a little more popular, at least with those of you who check often.

4 comments:

Sheri DelMage said...

i think you can put ads on your blog the same way you add pictures and blinkies...you click on the "Add a Page Element" and add the AdSense element.

to get more people to come to your blog you click on Next Blog until you get to one that is interesting and you leave a comment. I've been doing that since I started my blog and i've already had four comments from people whose site i visited and commented on.

Kim said...

I really do not want to put AdSense on my blog. I do not like the way it looks.

I have gone through the next blog thing. I think that is where I found a couple of blogs. I cannot find them anymore, but I guess I can try that.

Kim said...

Hi, Kim: you write what we all feel! Even though we are blogging for our own personal reasons (documenting family life, expressing our thoughts on issues, etc. not necessarily to advertise a company or to make money or get famous), at some point we'd like others to start reading our blogs and commenting!

Anonymous said...

Well, to make money - you have to have sponsors. Not necessarily AdSense (which doesn't garner much $ anyway). I think a better way is affiliates. Google that. There are tons of companies that offer affiliate programs. There are also other advertising programs, but if you don't like AdSense, you probably wouldn't like them either. I don't.

But you have to have more traffic to get any money out of these programs. There are many ways to get more traffic. Google. Some ways are more appealing than others.

Hope this helps. :) ls