Sunday, July 20, 2008

You know, the point of that comment I made did not even have anything to do with spelling. If you read the second sentence, you will see the point. "Obama would know."

That idiot who put up the sign was dissing Barack Obama. My point was that Obama is smart, which is in direct contrast to the point he was trying to make. An idiot made it about spelling and grammar and that he thought that I was a hypocrite because I talk about freedom of speech and then want people to be correct grammatically when they comment. It just makes you look uneducated to comment and do it with spelling errors and incorrect grammar.

Yes, I am a little OCD when it comes to spelling. I just do not get why people cannot spell simple words. It is more than typos, which is what his most recent comment to me said. So here is a spelling lesson for today.

YOUR: means of or belonging to you. Like Your house.
YOU'RE: you are. Like You are going to church.

This is one of the most misspelled words I come across. Your is an adjective. It means something belongs to you. You own it, you have it. It is a description. You're is a contraction meaning you are, like you are not spelling this word correctly. Why is that so difficult? I just do not get it. If someone is trying to say you are and types your, that is not a typo. That is a misspelled word.

We have gotten away from spelling words correctly when we type because of the wonderful spell check function of Word. The problem is that spell check only checks if words are spelled correctly, not if they are the correct word for the situation. My band director always said that the right note in the wrong place is the wrong note. This applies for the right word in the wrong place. It is a misspelled word.

Don't get me wrong, I misspell lots of words while I am typing, I just have the sense to use my backspace button before I press send to make sure it is correct. Let me type one sentence for you without correcting myself.

This is myu sentece that I typed without using the bacjspace button. See, I never said I was perfect. Only that I know how to spell and make sure the words are correct before I publish. (I am worse when my nails get long, like they are now.)

No comments: