I just love the way the Republican party doesn't answer questions. They dance around them, but never answer.
Alaska Governor and GOP VP pick Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter is 5 months pregnant. No big deal, it happens. But the bigger story is that she is involved in a corruption scandal in Alaska. Apparantly, she is charged with trying to influence an official of the government to fire her former brother-in-law because of a bitter custody battle with her sister. The man wouldn't fire him, so he was fired. This is the big story. Did she do it? Probably. Does it show her character? Absolutely. The McCain camp will not answer any questions about it though.
Another thing they don't answer questions about is her ability to serve as President should anything happen to McCain. The McCain camp has made such a big deal about Barack Obama's ability to serve as Commander-In-Chief. They say he does not have enough foreign policy experience. I guess the fact that he has served on the Senate Foreign Relations committee is no experience. He has traveled overseas, he has met with foreign leaders. He has experience. No one is going to argue that McCain has more though.
But, Palin has no foreign experience. But, McCain's camp seems to think she does. She has commanded the Alaska National Guard you know. Since when is the Alaska National Guard part of foreign relations? When asked for a specific example of how this prepares her for commanding the US armed forces, they can't answer. They cannot give one example of her experience commanding the national guard. There is not one example. They jog around the question and keep talking about McCain's experience. They can't seem to get that it is not about him, it is about her. Can she lead, is she qualified. That is what needs to be answered.
Obama made a wise choice in Joe Biden. McCain only chose Palin because she is a woman and she is pro-life and NRA. But answer questions about her they do not. They don't have answers, they don't have an agenda except drill for oil, go to war and repeal Roe v. Wade. They need to get an agenda. They need to answer the questions.
2 years ago

























13 comments:
Hi Kim - I hope this msg finds you well. Here are my comments regarding Gov. Palin:
Daughter - Personal issue. I heard that obama issued a statement saying that was not to be spoke of by his campaign, that is a personal matter and the children are off limits. If true, great move, and wise decision on his part. And we both know that unexpected pregnancies happen from time to time.
Scandal - Is it true? Who knows? It's under investigation currently. No one has revealed any truth, no one knows the background of the terminated official, the ex-bro, or what events led up to it. Even as a Governor and not yet VP candidate, I believe it is safe to assume, and you likely would agree, that she would know that a move like that has *bad press* and *scandal* written all over it, regardless the reason for the termination. Thus, I believe it is safe and within reason to say that the decisiopn to terminate was sound, justifiable, and has the required paper trail. The problem is, no matter how you look at it, it just looks bad.
Her ability to take over as Pres. - I'll circle back to that after addressing experience.
When compared to a McCain or a Biden, both Obama and Palin lack experience. Duh, right? However, where Palin edges out Obama is her *proven* ability to take on the oil industry in her state. That's huge, and you can't deny that. You and I both know that oil generates two things: money and power. To take on that industry, expose the corruption we all *suspect* exists, and then appropriately tax the excessive profits for her state treasury's benefit I think is great experience. Also, it's tangible experience that could go on her "political resume". Where's Obama's experience? What are his big victories? He's been overseas, but what has he done? Neither are experienced with the military, but she at least has the National Guard under her supervision, even if there is no "color commentary" to go along with it.
Is she qualified to lead? Absolutely. Again, she has accomplishments, she's taken a stand, she's been to battle and won. Can you say the same about Obama? Biden is a wise choice - he shores the gaps for Obama. Palin is an equally wise choice, perhaps even more so because she can lock in conservatives like me. To say she was chosen "only because she is a woman, pro-life, and NRA" and is a gross understatement, and I think you know that. Her victory over oil is big time - it show's an ability to stand up for what is right, and the ability to fight and win. That's big - does Obama have such a notch in his belt?
Back to the ability to serve as President. From Obama, and I did listen to his acceptance speech (which I admit was an amazing oratory experience and demonstrated a true mastery of public speaking), there is lots of "talk", but not much "plan". There are lots of things he would like to do. There are lots of things I would like to do. Currently, neither one of us have communicated much of our plan to actually do those things, we just know how to make what we would do sound really great! That said, Palin edges Obama because she's proven she can lead, and can take on political giants. Obama *sounds* like he would make a good President - he knows how to talk the talk. Palin, however, has walked the walk, and I would say is therefore *more* qualified to assume the top office than Obama.
As a side note - who has more years of elected government official service experience?
Concerning answers and agenda - We both know that unfortunately, contemporary politics *is* agenda, not answers. "I want you to think like I think and do as I would do" is the Mantra, not "Here is the problem, here is the root cause, and here is the *right* solution." That's our unfortunate reality. I will say though that for me, Palin more closely reflects my values, the values abided by in my home, and the values I believe possessed by our founding fathers.
To end happy, I will say this: both Palin and Obama offer something not seen politically in our lifetime. A connection to the common man, and an understanding of the everyday struggles of the American citizen. They both invoke the feelings, one by her life, one by his words, of knowing the state of America and what "we, the people" want. That is very powerful, and whether you believe in change or country first, the acknowledgement to the people signals the dawn of a new era in contemporary politics.
Thanks for your time, sis!
Hey - what do you think about the fair tax?
Ok. Looks like we only agree that the daughter thing is private and not a big deal. Other than that I have to totally disagree.
Yes, we do not know the whole story about the scandal. But, her decision was reasonable? No, it was predictable for a Republican that is not getting their way. Look at President Bush. He did the same thing with some of the US Attorneys who would not do his bidding.
Yes, Palin has the National Guard under her belt. But Bush did too before he became President and look where that got us. He didn't have a clue what it was to be President and that got us in a war and in debt like we have never been in before. At least Obama has national governmental experience. As for taking on the oil industry, the oil industry has all of the politicians in its' pockets and that will never change. This woman worked for the oil industry, she is in cahoots with them.
No, Obama doesn't have lots of practical experience under his belt. But he is exactly what we need right now. He does not subscribe to the "I want you to think like I think and do like I do" theory. He knows that we are all independent thinkers and that we all know what is best for us.
Why does she lock in conservatives like you? Because she decided not to terminate a pregnancy that resulted in a child with Down Syndrome. I didn't terminate a pregnancy and you know that very well. But, I am pro-choice. That's what choice is. The right to choose, and she did that. Why is that her example of being pro-life?
Her experience is limited to commanding a national guard that what, keeps the Russians from invading? Give me a break. She is inexperienced in national policy, in foreign relations and is not going to help McCain like he thinks she will.
I may not be as versed as you on this subject, but I know what I think and that is all I can tell you.
Hi, Kim: have been following storm news, and am glad to hear Gustav isn't causing too much trouble. Hope you are recovering from the stress!
I always enjoy reading your perspective about politics. Being from Alaska, I have a few thoughts on Sarah.
Regarding the "corruption scandal," it really is a tempest in a tea cup. Palin herself supported the call for an investigation, because the rumors were getting out of hand. The trooper in question is a pretty suspicious character with some serious reprimands on his record and the Commissioner who was let go has stated time and time again that Palin never directly asked him to fire anybody. It's an issue with lots of grey, because the trooper has a very volatile relationship with Palin's sister and has made some fairly disturbing threats against the entire family, so gubernatorial security got involved and that's where it gets sticky. What one person sees as keeping tabs on a potentially scary guy, another sees as pressure to get rid of a state trooper altogether.
A point about Sarah's being selected for VP that you might have overlooked is her tremendous knowledge on the issues of energy, gas, and oil. She may be young. She may be pretty. But she is whip-smart when it comes to ANWR, gas and oil development, and dealing with the big boys of Exxon and BP. You'll be hard-pressed to find any other politician with her knowledge and experience in that very, very important field.
Sarah is so popular in Alaska because she is a normal person from an average background whose involvement in her kids' lives (hockey, school) has evolved into serious community service. She is NOT politics as usual. She is not a slick lawyer, a trust fund baby, or a career politician. She is a bright, energetic person who tells it like it is and follows through on her promises. She has always operated on the philosophy that she wants the best for Alaska and is determined that government be "open and transparent." And she has walked the talk. She has helped to bring together the Dems, Reps, and Independentsin our state . . . no easy feat!
I can totally understand how one might disagree with her stance on abortion or gun rights, but some people are selling her short in insisting that she's only on the ticket because she's a woman. If McCain just needed a woman, Hawaii's governor might have been a more logical choice. But I do believe Palin brings something to the table that no one else can when it comes to ENERGY/OIL/GAS and to WORKING ACROSS THE AISLE.
Hey Sis - Allow me to reply.
Glad we agree on something, by the end you may agree with more.
I say her decision was reasonable as she understands the magnitude of how that would look, especially as a female politician. For example, if you and I agreed to meet alone in a hotel room and then publicized that we were alone in a hotel room, we better be able to explain and justify why, because that would look pretty darn bad. That said, the same logic applies. She knows how the system and media work. And as for the "Republican...not getting their way" comment, that's a pretty paper thin argument, and if we're going to look at Bush then looks also look at the Clintons and what happened to all of the people that "got in their way" with their scandals (remember the "suicide"?)
National Guard - Again, Palin has *some* military experience. Obama none. People dog Bush for the war decision, but who would have been a better choice to receive the news on Sept. 11? Also, say we didn't go to war, and did not retaliate. We send the message that that was an okay thing to do. Just like as parents, if one of your kids slaps another one, you don't just say "that's okay, now go apologize." You "teach a lesson" and make sure that doesn't happen again. Had we not *gone* to war, war would have *come* to us. I agree with the majority of American people in that I prefer the war not be on American soil.
The oil industry - has *most* politicians in its' pocket, agreed. But not Palin. She took them on and won. They are paying more taxes to her state. That doesn't sound like a politician in the pocket to me, and surely you agree with that.
You say Obama doesn't have much experience but is what we need. Why? So far, he's a great speaker who I would say "gets it". I'll give him that - he's spent enough time with the people to do that. But why is he what we need? Also, you say that he knows we're all independent thinkers and *we* know what's best for us - that's a republican mentality, and what Obama is opposing (Universal Health Care, Education for everyone, etc.)
Palin locks me in because pro-life is a big deal to me. She didn't "terminate a pregnancy that resulted in a child with Down Syndrome" as you say - that is a very pro-choice view. Rather, she didn't terminate the life of a child with down syndrome - That's the pro-life view. See, pro-choice always says "we're not for abortion, we're for the right to choose." However, what's the choice? Abortion. So to say you are pro-choice is not pro the right to choose, it is pro-abortion b/c that's what you would be choosing. Also, to a pro-lifer, pregnancy is not the thing terminated. Pregnancy is the process of life preparing to live outside of the womb, not a "medical condition". If a dog is pregnant, we say it is having puppies. If a cat is preganant, we say it is having kittens. If a woman gets pregnant, I say she is having a baby, you say she has a "medical condition" that she should be able to choose to end, like taking advil for a headache.
Her experience is limited, you are right. but at least she has *some*. The Alaska National Guard may not be the US Armed Forces, but the fry cook at McDonalds is more qualified to be a chef than the banker who read a cookbook.
Also, she has accomplished more at the state level than most at any level, local, state, federal, or otherwise, Obama included.
I like your passion and opinion, but *love* that you express it. Later Sis!
See, I have a totally different take on what pro-choice is. To me it means that a woman can choose what is best for her and that it is between her and God when it comes to that decision. When you have a young girl who has been raped by her father and gets pregnant, if she is too mentally scarred to carry that baby to term and she felt that it would be best to terminate the pregnancy, then she should be able to choose to do so. If you revoke Roe v. Wade, then the choice is moved to back alleys again where the danger is very high. There is nothing comparable for men medically. So why should 9 mostly male Supreme Court justices make that decision for me or any woman? I don't condone abortion, I don't recommend it. I just don't think that the choice should be taken away.
I have not read about Palin's record and don't trust the sources on the internet to be balanced. So I don't know what to believe and what not to believe. I am a Democrat, so I am not going to vote for her no matter what. Her record is not going to sway me.
As for going to war after September 11th, I think we went after the wrong people. Why go to war in Iraq? Because Daddy didn't finish the job? It wasn't because Iraq was behind the attacks. Bin Laden was behind it and he is not in Iraq. Hussein had nothing to do with it and going to war because of the WMD'S that didn't exist was wrong. I think that any President would have done what was necessary to hold responsible those who attacked us. But Bush still isn't doing it. He is not going after Bin Laden, he is more concerned about the oil in Iraq.
My husband works for the office that is responsible for auditing what is happening with the spending for reconstruction in Iraq. They know exactly what is going on and they know that Iraq is being allowed to receive all of the profits from their oil and pay for none of the reconstruction. Why isn't the Bush administration making them pay? Because that would anger the Iraqi's and not keep the oil flowing. That is the issue here. Whether it is gas prices or the oil in the middle east. It all has to do with the oil and getting it at all costs. Besides, if Bush hadn't had Cheney behind him he wouldn't have know what to do. But I think Cheney is an idiot, too.
I don't know how Palin is making the oil industry pay the way they supposedly are in Alaska, but if she is doing it why isn't the federal government? I am not sure that McCain, after meeting her twice, knows all he should.
I am scared for another Republican to be in office. It is as simple as that. This country needs a new direction. If Obama gets in there and messes up, then he only gets four years.
The Clintons are another matter. The country was doing well under the Clinton administration. You cannot deny that. Prove the suicide wasn't a suicide. Yes, he made stupid mistakes. But, as everyone is saying about Bristol, it was a private matter between Bill and Hillary and should have stayed there. Every time. Why is it always fair from one side and not the other? The only mistake that should have been in the public's interest was the fact that things happened in the Oval Office that shouldn't have. I have never said Bill was perfect, but he is better than what we have now.
Hey sis - Allow me to reply.
Pro-Choice: You say "I don't condone abortion, I don't recommend it." Yet in your example you clearly recommend it, or at least condone it. Why? Because the *Mom* is suffering mental anguish. So for that the *baby* dies?
And don't you think that in the long run, that would just compound the issue? I mean, an incestial rape is bad, no denying that. To add abortion compounds the issue by adding murder to the ticket as well. Abortion takes a toll on people. I've made an appointment, made that phone call, and heard the "pre-op counseling" message. Fortunately the Holy Spirit intervened and it made me physically sick to my stomach - and I'm reminded everytime I see sweet little Macy.
Sept 11 - we all would do something different. I would have a big parking lot over there right now. Yes - oil is a consideration. Yes - Saddam was a problem waiting to happen. Yes - Obama is *still* on the loose. But, he will be found. This is not a Presidential issue. Our military will get who they went there for, and the next President will get the victory nod for that.
Palin is making the oil industry pay because she stood up to them, cut the crap, and taxed the snot out of their profits, that had been lining the pockets of (unfortunately) other Republican politicians. She busted that up. It's not happening federally because no one is willing to step up and take them on. Again - money and power. She will. And oil is just the beginning. Oh, by the way, that's *proven* experience. ;)
Our country does need a new direction. Unfocused war with no defined end is not it, agreed. More taxes and more government is also not it. is universal health care it? I like the objective, but not the method. I envision universal health care being like a trip to the DMV - no thanks. I like school vouchers. I like more money for teachers. I *really* like the Fair Tax (have you heard of this? email me and let me know - I'll send you the link. It's very Republican, but it's interesting to *think* about).
Bill had his faults. So has George. So have all Presidents prior, and will all Presidents after. The economy ebbs and flows, just like "global warming". For me, I like what McCain/Palin brings to the table. i like what Obama has accomplished thus far, and he is far from over. One day he will be even more of a force to be reckoned with, I just don't believe today is that day. And yes, I am black, and *not* voting for Obama.
I didn't in my comment condone abortion. I simply agree with their right to choose for themselves. That's what I condone. Choice. Sarah Palin's family made a choice disguised as a pro-life stance. I made a choice disguised as adoption 21 years ago. (It really has been that long.)
As for finding Osama (not Obama), they can't find him if they do not even have enough troops in Afghanistan to even keep the Taliban from re-emerging. Too many of our troops are in Iraq, overextended and overworked, to go to Afghanistan for the job that needs to be done there. That's fact.
If, like has been pointed out to me before by a Republican, the President has no control on what actually gets passed by Congress, how is a Vice-President going to control big oil? VP's have no authority to do that. Her experience in that area is limited to interests in Alaska. Her control over the National Guard is limited to execute the laws, suppress or prevent insurrection or lawless violence, or repel invasion...shall appoint all general and flag officers of the armed forces of the State. (Constitution of the State of Alaska)
I am not sure what the answer is to the Health Care problems of this country. But as one mom from Canada put it, at least I know that if I get sick, or my kids get sick, my health care is paid for. It's not perfect in Canada or European nations who have nationalized health care, but they know that if they get a catastrophic illness, they are covered. That is what is lacking for millions of Americans. That's what needs to change.
I have a neighbor who owns a business and is worried about what a Democratic President with a Democrat controlled Congress would do to taxes. I don't know about you, but I am not one of those rich people McCain talks about who makes $5 million a year. We barely get by. We live in two cities. It's not easy. So, why shouldn't those who make the $5M pay a larger share? Why do they need their taxes cut? I need my taxes cut. We paid a lot of taxes last year. Money we could have used to live on. Money we could have used to pay medical bills. Why do I need to continue to pay more?
You say you like what Obama has accomplished so far, but you don't think he is ready to lead. I say the same about Palin. I may be learning what she has done and have learned that she has done a lot of good, but is she ready now? Will she be ready if McCain dies? I don't think so.
I am not even arguing about Bill. His personal ethics are not great, but he was a hell of a good CEO/COO/CFO of this country. Can's say that about Bush.
Oh, and you can read a quarterly report from James' office at www.sigir.mil.
Hi Sis - Allow me to reply.
You say, as all pro-"choice" people do, that it is not about abortion, it's a bout "the right to choose". But the *choice* IS abortion! There is no other choice! You either let the baby live, or you kill it. To say you support the "choice" is to say you support abortion because that *is* the choice.
Palin and her husband did not make a choice "disguised as a pro-life stance". They chose that their child would live. They chose to not kill their child, just b/c he is "not normal". Just like you chose to not kill your child 21 years ago just b/c we was "unexpected". Unfortunately, in our country, we label babies and justify their killing b/c of the label they carry - "not normal", "unexpected", "unwanted". That's what the Nazi's did and we look at that today and think that was a dispicable, hanous act. Yet, in abortion clinics (or should I say "choice" clinics?) around our country, everyday this happens, and we justify it because it's "choice". So I ask you this - what's the difference between life in the womb and life outside of the womb? Do you even regard the "unborn" as living? Most pro-choicers do not - that's how they justify the guilt.
As VP, Sarah is not going to "control" big oil. However, b/c she has fought this monster and won, b/c unlike many politicians (D & R alike) she's not interested in lining her own pocket with oil money. What's happening with oil is wrong, and I'm sure that oil is not the only industry that is lining political pockets to grease it's own wheels. Her experience is limited to Alaska, but what she has done with her time and efforts is invaluable, and removing corruption, balancing the budget (and actually creating a surplus) are major accomplishments. Will she encounter everything as Governor of Alaska that a VP or Pres would? No. Neither would most political seats. However, where I stand with Palin is that in her time in her positions, she has solid accomplishments, she has made great progress, exposed corruption, and has *proven* that she is *not* just another politician. That's major and undeniable, even you Dem's have to admit that. Add to that the fact that she *has* personal and religious values, and that they also line up with mine, and for me that's a home run.
Also sis - think about this. If Palin were the Dem VP nominee, and you now have someone on your ticket who has proven experience, who has achieved well in what she has been tasked to do thus far, represents the common man very well, took on big oil and won, created a surplus in the budget she was responsible for, and is behind a huge development project for her area that will generate additional jobs *and* energy independence - you guys would be foaming at the mouth about what an amazing VP candidate she was. Admit it - were Palin the Dem VP choice - your reaction to her would be totally different.
Health Care - like you, I don't have all the answers there either. I agree that we need to do more to help take care of those who otherwise cannot. I also think it is important to *help* people, not *enable* people. That entire Welfare/Medicare/Medicaid system needs revising and updating. Is privatizing the system the best answer? In some cases. A national system? Perhaps. I'm more in favor of the existing privatized system working with a new national plan. Why couldn't a national plan exists side-by-side with the private ones? That's also my view on Social Sec. I think the option to privatize is great. I'm also a proponent of the fair tax. I'll send you the link,I think you might find it interesting.
You say Palin is not ready to lead. She is the VP nominee. Obama is the big dog. That's the difference. *Could* she run the country? Sure. As *could* Obama. They will both surround themselves with readers and eggheads and theorists and historians to assist with their decision making. However, Palin to date is more accomplished. Everyone compares her to Obama. She edges him out, and she is the *VP* nominee.
Eric, I have read everything you have written here and one thing is clear: we are never going to agree. So, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.
Yes, abortion is the choice, but at least it is there for those who truly need that choice. There's a lot more I could say about it, but I won't. Maybe I will tell you privately, but not here.
So, if Palin has no more experience being President than Obama, why the criticism of Obama by the Republicans. That's what I can't get over. It was such an issue for him, but not her. And I understand that she is the VP choice and not the top of the ticket, but really, she is only a heartbeat away. McCain is old and has had cancer several times and the melanoma is one of the worst and he had it.
I don't think I have much more to say which you will probably see as my backing down. But I have had a hard time this weekend and I am ready to move on to something lighter.
I am going to post so video of my family rocking on Rock Band soon, so check it out when I get it there.
Also, Dr. Raul Orneles, trumpet teacher at Lamar, remember? He passed away. I didn't even know until after the fact. I have been so busy I haven't been able to keep up with the news.
OK, I HATE POLITICS...but would like to put in my two cents about the abortion issue. I completely understand what pro-choice means. The woman gets to choose whether to carry the baby to term or not, and the decision she makes is between her and God. But, let's look at this a little deeper...pro-choice also means that only the woman gets a choice...the baby doesn't get a choice...the baby's father doesn't get a choice...so really it should be called "pro-woman's choice only". I bet if the baby was given a choice it would choose to live...
How about this? If reversing roe vs. wade will cause women to terminate their pregnancies in the back allies instead of in an operating room, and this is our main reason for not reversing it...then why don't we make illegal drugs legal so that the drugheads can buy them from a reputable source instead of from Mr. Drug Dealer in the back allies...this way we can control the drugs and all of the free world will have the freedom to choose whether to hurt themselves and other innocent people, legally...
You said "I just don't think that the choice should be taken away." Well, they choice has already been taken away from everyone except the woman. Most of the time the woman getting an abortion wasn't raped and the baby doesn't have an illness...she just doesn't want a baby...to me it is just sickening that a woman can go out and have a one-night stand, get pregnant, and then kill the baby who doesn't get a choice in the matter...all out of mere convenience...but, hey, at least she had a choice.
Roe v. Wade and all it stands for can disgust you, but the point is: It is not my place to tell someone else what to do with their body. That's my point. And, that is the last point I am going to make.
Post a Comment