It's just a shame. When Central was created in 1986, the band filled the stands from the bottom to the top. The drill team had to sit to the side. Not any more. The drill team almost has more members than the band. They are in front of the band now.
It's also a shame what the band and drill team have turned in to. The drill team does not do a drill, they do not dance and they can't kick to save their lives. They gyrate. That's all they do. If I had a daughter going to Central and she said she wanted to be on that drill team, my answer would not be no, it would be hell no. I can't understand why parents let their daughters get out there and do what those girls do on the field. Just doesn't make sense.
The band isn't much better. At least this year they are doing something a little more clean. They do an homage to the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's by doing the Mashed Potato, the Robot?, the MC Hammer dance and the Dog. It's funny at least. But they can't leave it at that. They have to go to the sidelines and proceed to get nasty. It's gross.
Someone needs to tell the people in charge that it is not going to be tolerated. What am I talking about, this is Beaumont and BISD. The powers that be think it is normal.

























6 comments:
Sounds like all of the gyrating is the main reason the band is so small...the real musicians out there don't want to be a part of that! Looks like it's mostly drummers and tubas. Is the band teacher on drugs? I can't believe they let them act like that.
This is the second band director they have had in the last few years. Remember the one that got caught with a student? Bad news.
It's sad really. The word is that it is Central tradition for the band to act that way. But I for one know that it isn't tradition since I was in the inaugural class. It is a black thing. But still, to get so nasty on the field should not be acceptable.
Do you think Mr. Slaughter would have condoned that? Not on your life.
What happened to Mr. Slaughter?
Mr. Slaughter had brain cancer and passed away several years ago.
He was a great musician and a great teacher.
Hey Sis - Wow - I had no idea. Can you even call that a band anymore? It looks more like a small ensemble!
I saw a video not that long ago of what has happened to the band program and it is an absolute disgrace. I'm not a fan of the gyrating either. I don't like the dancing, though on occasion it (like a military style)could have a place, but only to function as exposure to the different dance styles. It sounds like the students now run the program...looks like we *do* agree on some things ;)
Post a Comment