Sunday, October 12, 2008

I am sitting here watching the local news and I cannot believe what I am hearing. But wait...I live in Southeast Texas...yeah, I guess I believe it.

Hurricane Ike roared through here one month ago today. There are several communities...Sabine Pass, Gilcrest, Crystal Beach, High Island, Bridge City, parts of Orange...all have lots of destruction and lots of homeless residents. Sabine Pass was very hard hit. Bridge City was very hard hit. Port Arthur...not so much. Beaumont...not so much. But you would think that the people in Port Arthur and Beaumont were living in their yards. The people in Sabine Pass are. They really need help. I am not sure they have even gotten back to school down there yet.

Today, an organization was supposed to hand out gift cards to residents of Sabine Pass. The did so after Rita for the residents there and this time the destruction was even worse. Problem is, the did not show up to give them out. This picture shows why:

Most of these people standing in line are not from Sabine Pass. The are mostly from Port Arthur. They were told to go home. They refused. The police were called in. They still refused to go home. Then they proceeded to get on television to say that it was racist. No. You were not residents of Sabine Pass. Go home. The people who were going to hand out the cards did not show up because they feared for their safety. That's not racist. That's a fact. Mob mentality. Ever heard of that?

I am so tired of this place where I live. If people are not handed everything they want, it's racist. If a school is not named after a certain person, it's racist. If people are afraid to be in a crowd that is mad, it's racist.

I am out over $1700.00 from my evacuation and I will probably never see any of that money again. I had to leave my home, drive for four days, pay for my dogs to stay in a hotel, discard all the contents of my refrigerator, plus the added expense I will be out to fix the siding on my chimney and dormer windows. Is it racist? No. Although I could cry that because if this storm had hit New Orleans the funding would be in place to pay for things. Why? Because more than half the population of New Orleans is on some kind of government support and they are all black...oh, wait, it's African-American now. I guess I am supposed to call myself Irish-Scottish-Native American-British-American. That's what I am. Not to mention lots of other stuff.

I guess I sound racist right about now. I am not. But I am tired of all those out there who use the color of their skin to cry foul. I am tired of all those out there who do not take FULL advantage of the opportunities out there for them. I am tired of all those who want it all given to them and when it's not they complain. I don't care what the color of their skin.

I have said it before. My sisters and I did not have much growing up. We were talking today at lunch about a car my mom drove that had holes in the floorboard. We had to hold our feet up if it was raining because we were going to get wet if we didn't. My mom made $68 a week. This wasn't in the 50's or 60's this was in the late 70's and 80's. We didn't have much at all. Yet, all of us went to college, though I have not graduated.

Cindy was number 17 in her class. She didn't need anything special to get there. She studied. That's how she got there. She graduated from Lamar 4 years after she graduated from high school. She didn't need anything special to get there. She studied and worked her way through. That's how she got there.

Sheri never graduated from high school. She was bored because she knew what they were trying to teach her. She's a CPA now. She studied and worked hard. She didn't need anything special.

Society tells kids that they need to be treated special in order for them to get ahead instead of telling them to work for what they want and need to get ahead. They are brought up believing that handouts are the way to live. Sit around on your ass and the government will take care of you. All you have to do is cry "workman's comp" or "disability" and you get it all handed to you. Then, you take what you have and drive new cars and wear designer clothes while taking food stamps and welfare and letting the government take care of you.

And you stand in lines waiting for a gift card that you think you are entitled to when you aren't entitled to anything. You stand in lines waiting to take away from people who are in real need, who don't have a roof over their head when you have a warm bed to go home to. That's not racism, that's life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God, please don't throw tomatoes at me for saying this, Kim. But you sound R-R-R-Republican.

Voting for your guy is only going to promote more and more of all those hand-out programs.

Oh okay, go ahead and throw tomatoes at me. ;) It's true though.

I'm very disappointed to hear about that line you described.

My mom and aunt volunteered right after the hurricane in Kountze at the county courthouse where they were handing out foodboxes, coolers, ice, water, bins, etc. You drove through and they loaded you up. My mom said that there were people who would drive through like 4 or 5 times. Just greedy. Also, when you drive through - they ask you how many in your family so they can determine how many boxes of food to give you. These were not MRE's but just boxes of non-perishables. Well, this one woman drove up and my aunt asked her how many in her family - and she had the nerve to say TWENTY-TWO! And then she drove back through again.

At the end, because of the greedy people, there were people who got turned away because they ran out of supplies. So it was pretty disappointing to hear about. I was disappointed to read this post, too. I'd been thinking that we were Texans...not sitting around with our hand out but taking care of ourselves. Guess that's not the case for all of us, huh? :(

Kim said...

In that one respect I may sound Republican to you. But was it not Bill Clinton who got many people off the welfare rolls and working? And isn't it George Bush who has put them right back on those rolls?

I am just tired of the greediness. If you truly have a need, you should be getting the help you need. But those out there who take just for taking's sake need to be told to go away.

I am not Republican. I think that the government should get out of my bedroom, my doctor's office and all other aspects of my personal life. Just because I happen to be disgusted by those in that line doesn't mean I am Republican.

Anonymous said...

Kim, You took that way better than I thought, girlfriend. I've been afraid to come back. ;) (Not really...just been busy trying to find a roofer). But seriously...I think you and I are in total agreement on this point.

I know where you stand and you know where I stand - and I hope you know by now that I'm not the girl who's gonna try to sway you.

All that said...

When you say this:

"I think that the government should get out of my bedroom, my doctor's office and all other aspects of my personal life,"

it blows my mind how close you and I are in this respect.

Go get your tomato ready to throw, for I am about to invoke the name of Obama. Girl, he's all about increasing government in your bedroom, in your doctor's office, in your bank account and in all aspects of your personal life. All the money that you and James have worked hard to earn? He wants to take it from you and give it to all those greedy people in those lines standing there with their hands out - people who have not earned it. He wants to take your money away from you, out of your hands and HE wants to decide who gets it and how it should be spent, instead of you. Never mind that you earned it.

Am I in love with John McCain? No. Am in love with all things Republican? God no. But what Obama is proposing is exactly what you just said you don't want. Only he pretties it up in his wonderful, beautiful rhetoric. My God, when I hear him speak - even I want to vote for him.


Girl, I KNOW you're not Republican. You don't have to be Republican to not want to be controlled by government. I think I've decided I'm not Republican either. I just know what I don't want this time. And it's not Obama.

If Hilary had been in the running, we'd be talking a WHOLE different story.

Thanks for not ripping me to shreds for saying you sounded like the R-word. Love ya girl. :)

leisa

Kim said...

I am not arguing with you anymore, Leisa.

I am not Republican and if you say that one more time I am going to come to your house and stick my tongue out at you.

Anonymous said...

Actually, if I wasn't worried about actual, true bodily harm - I would play a little practical joke on you and put a McCain/Palin sign in your yard.

But something tells me you would not find that amusing. ;)

I love ya, girl!

And I know you're not Republican. And you don't have to be to have an aversion to greed.

Fun side note: I've been having contracters coming out to give estimates for our damage - and when I'm giving them directions, several have said, "Oh, are you that house with the McCain/Palin sign?" And they can barely hide their disgust. It just makes me giggle. I usually tease them and say something like, "You want me to get you one?" I haven't had any takers yet. ha!

P.S. Did you know I found out there is a law that disallows any homeowners association from prohibiting a homeowner from displaying a political sign 90 days before an election? There are stipulations - but it's in the Texas Property Code.