James asked me the other night how I ended up a Democrat since my mom and sisters are all Republicans. The answer was easy: I am not going to sit around and let religious leaders tell me what I need to think and do and use that as my basis for voting.
I go to my mom's house sometimes while I am waiting for my kids at church. I get there and she is reading books written by religious leaders and watching ministers on tv. Now, I don't want to seem like I think this is a completely bad thing, but it is all she does. How do you form an opinion that is truly informed if you are only listening to one side of the issue?
For many years, my mother listened to a man preach who was a racist. The members of the church were racists. They didn't like anyone who wasn't a WASP. (If you are reading this and don't like what I am saying, too bad. This is my blog and I will write it.) It seems that it has carried over even though that man died 20 years ago.
I told James that all my mom does is either listen to her pastor, read religious literature or watch ministers on tv. All of this is Christian Coalition based. Right wing based. I decided years ago that I was not listening to that any longer. Focusing on my religious views 24/7/365 is not going to change what I believe.
Presenting myself as a Christian is what I should do. Teaching my children in the way Jesus taught is the way to do thing. Jesus did not discriminate and he was not racist. He loved all people and showed them all compassion. And, he died for all of their sins equally. I can believe that and be a Democrat. I can believe that and be pro-choice. I can believe that and not be totally focused on it all the time.
That's how I became a Democrat, even though that was not my focus at the time I decided to separate myself from that church and it's views all those years ago. I just knew that I was not that person, I was better than believing that I was better than others because of the color of my skin. I was better than believing that it was up to me to decide for others what they should believe.
2 years ago

























3 comments:
I've never said I'm Republican or Democrat. I make my decisions based on my research of the candidates' stand on issues, not whether they are red or blue. I voted for both parties in various races. I think we should vote for the candidate that we feel is more closely aligned with our personal beliefs and views and who we think will do a good job.
What is a WASP???
Well, maybe that is what you do, but it is not what mom does.
...and a WASP is a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant ~ exactly who Hitler thought was the superior race.
Kim,
You might like the blog entry I'm about to link to. It's written by a Christian author who is a (gasp!) Obama-voting Democrat. He wrote a book called "Blue Like Jazz."
The entry tells about how he went from being a Reagan Republican to an Obama Democrat and why.
I liked it, and I think you might, too.
Personally, I just can't understand people who blindly listen to some person on TV or some person in a pulpit tell them how to believe in God or how to follow Jesus - particularly when what they are being taught is BLATANTLY opposite of what is taught in God's written word, the Bible. When you hate or discriminate against any person, then you dishonor God who loves and made and cares for each person on this earth.
Sure, there are complexities, and we could go further than that...but when you get right down to it - it's really all about LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Here's the thing: I disagreed with Obama's politics - but the people of America have spoken. He's our new president! I'm happy for him and for our country because this is the will of the people.
Let's light the peace pipe, baby!! I'm ready to love!!! ;)
I miss you, Kim! :)
Here's the blog entry I referred to earlier: http://donmilleris.com/2008/11/03/from-reagan-to-obama-a-brief-political-history/
Not all Christians are haters, girl. I promise.
leisa
Post a Comment