Why is it when kids are misbehaving and they are called out on it their parents act like thier kids are above being disciplined? I am not sure if I am saying this correctly or not, so let me give you a couple of examples.
Today, my kids were playing outside with some neighbor kids. They were all playing some kind of game when one of the little boys down the street started "cheating". Well, my kids didn't want to play with them anymore. Then one of them said if he wasn't allowed to play, he was going to start throwing things at my kids. That was all the boys could take. They told him to get out of their yard and go home and stay out of their yard. Reasonable? I think so. Their mom didn't. She, not her kids, told my kids to stay off her yard as well. Is that not childish? Why not ask what the problem was and then tell her kids they were wrong?
Another example, also from today. One neighbor stopped to talk. She was driving her son's car. I told her that he drove that car too fast out on the highway. Like passing me while I am going 65 (which is the speed limit) and getting so far ahead of me I can't see him anymore. She told me that everyone drives too fast. What? What kind of reasoning is that? I happen to set my criuse control ~ as does Brenham ~ so that I, for one, am NOT driving too fast. If someone told me Brenham was driving that fast he would lose his keys.
Responsibility, people. Learn to take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your children. Not only is this the right thing to do, but when you do that you show your children that they need to take responsibility for their actions. There are too many people today blaming everything on everyone else. I was poor, so I couldn't go to college and that was the fault of the man on the corner and not me. I was driving fast and I got in an accident and killed someone, but it is not my fault because everyone drives too fast, so why shouldn't I? Get my drift?
Am I out of line?
2 years ago

























3 comments:
Hey Sis - You absolutely are not out of line. In fact, you and I are in perfect sync on this issue, because the problem is personal responsibility. Unfortunately, personal responsibility is being ushered out from our culture at an alarmingly rapid pace.
You cited 2 great examples, involving parents and their children, and I also can't help but wonder who is playing which role? I'm like you - "you're *kids*, work it out", "speeding wrecklessly, keys, please, oops, I mean keys *now*".
Personal responsibility will soon be a much sought-after trait, maybe even a resume-building skill! LOL....
Wow, something we agree on. LOL.
I completely agree with you, Kim. The kids should be working these things out except when bullying or violence or something like that is going on - which CLEARLY was not happening in this situation.
I think parents these days are way too fast to jump on the defensive on behalf of their kids instead of letting them take a little responsibility. I will always be on my children's side - no matter what they do or don't do. But one thing I hope to instill in them is this: they better know that they will have to bear the consequences of their actions. Whatever they choose to do or not do in a given situation is their responsibility. I will stand by their side and never leave them and will always love and support them - BUT they choose their actions so they better be prepared for the REaction.
I've missed reading your blog, girl. :)
I thought about you on election night and sent you a big cheerleader jump. I could see your big smile in my mind, and it made me happy. :)
leisa
Post a Comment