Well folks, for those of you who aren't aware, hurricane season is upon us down here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. The first storm of the season, Alex, is bearing down on the Mexico/Texas border as we speak.
Hurricane season elicits different feelings from everyone. Most people take it in stride; but after the last few hurricanes that have hit this area, there are lots of people who are just tired of the whole thing. Hurricane Alex is a medium category 2 storm currently. Maximum winds are around 110 mph. Now if it were heading this direction, I would not leave. Cat 2 I can handle. It's when it gets to be Cat 3 or higher that I abandon ship and get the heck out of Dodge. Evacuations are not fun, though.
People who don't experience hurricanes don't understand why some of us ride out the storms. Well, they are pretty predictable. Unlike tornadoes, you have days to prepare for hurricanes. You have days to get food together, days to board your windows, days to know if it is a situation that requires evacuation or one that will allow you to stay put. Lots of rain, strong winds; but that can be dealt with. After the last few storms, if the trees in my yard haven't fallen on my house yet, I don't think they will. All the branches that were weak are gone, so I feel pretty safe on that front.
Yes, hurricanes can be dangerous, but if you know what you're doing and decide to stay most of the time you will be fine.
2 years ago

























No comments:
Post a Comment