Saturday, September 23, 2006

Kickball Gone Wrong

Today, Brenham and Nicholas' Jr. CYO was in a kickball tournament hosted by the diocese. All of the area churches sent teams and we were supposed to have a good time. And we were. Until...

It was a double elimination tournament and we won our first game on a field on the muddiest field I have ever seen. The kids' shoes were literally disappearing in the mud. We won handily 17-7. Then I left to go get David and we lost our second game 14-10. So now we are in the losers bracket. We won our third game, and then this is where it all fell apart.

The referee on the field we were playing on didn't seem to know the rules. First of all, there is no bunting allowed. I didn't understand why for a while and then it hit me...we were pitching to ourselves, so if you bunt, the pitcher can't play the ball, so the ball needs to go past the pitcher. Well, this referee didn't play by that rule. We waited forever for another game to finish and it was finally our turn. The referee from the start did not enforce the no bunting rule. Just about every player on the team we were playing was bunting. But, our team was playing their hardest.

I was so proud of Brenham and Nicholas. Brenham caught a fly ball and one time passed the ball like a basketball and got someone out at second. Nicholas fouled out once and scored once. Both of them got to pitch and they did real well.

The problem was that the game ended in a tie, although we should have been ahead. This ref said play one more inning and if one team is not ahead, the we go back to the last time a team was winning. What? Anyone heard of that rule before? Not me. We lost because the other team was ahead last. How stupid. How crazy. I just didn't get it. That is the dumbest way to lose I have ever heard of.

While I had my camera, I didn't take any pictures because I have new contacts and they were driving me crazy in the wind. My eyes are so dried out I just about can't stand it. I will try to do better.

No comments: