Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ok, Former Rep. Foley, Which Is It?

We have been hearing all about the scandal involving Congressman Mark Foley since Friday, when the man resigned after a emails and IM's he sent to underage pages were made public. Clearly, this man has issues. As the Co-Chairman of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus, this man should have been someone who would want to protect children. One would think anyway.

But, since this news became public, it has been one excuse after another on his part. First, there was "I am an alcoholic and I was drunk when I sent the email". Then there was "I was abused as a child". (He's Catholic, you know. Whatever.) Next came, also just today, "I want you to know I am gay". Duh. So is this how this is going to go? Of course it is. It is all an attempt to keep the GOP from losing this election.

I'm sorry. Did I tell you I am tired of hearing excuses for the bad behavior of public figures. I was drunk. I was on pain killers. I was abused when I was a kid. Yeah, we all have issues. But, for goodness sake, can't people just start taking responsibility for their actions? Even Dennis Hastert is making excuses.

And now Hastert says that this looks like an attempt on the part of the Democrats to make him and other GOP's look bad just before the election. No, dude. This happened and it needs to be dealt with. Now. Not after the election. Holding back this information on the part of the GOP is just as wrong as leaking it just for political purposes. But the GOP is the master of leaking damaging stories to keep Democrats out of power. Remember all of the issues they leaked about Kerry? It works both ways people.

No comments: