I was watching "Meet the Press" this morning and heard something interesting. Tim Russert's guests at the time were a writer by the name of Meachum, didn't get his first name, and Pastor Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Life".
Rick Warren invited Sen. Sam Brownback and Sen. Barack Obama to speak at his church. His idea is that we don't all have to agree on our political ideas, we just have to work together to get things done.
Sen. Brownback opened his speech by saying, "Welcome to my house" to which Sen. Obama replied in his opening, "This is my house, too. This is God's house, so wecome to my house, too."
I am so tired of people implying that Democrats can't be Christians. I like what Rick Warren said about the Senators. He said they are compassionate. A compassionate Repbulican and a compassionate Democrat. That's what we need in this day and age. We need to be able to be compassionate and understanding and get along even when we disagree politically. Former President George Bush said the same thing in an interview I saw this morning, also.
He said that in his work with Pres. Clinton, he now understands that he doesn't have to agree politically to do the right thing in regards to AIDS in Africa or the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast. He just has to work with him to achieve their objective. I think that is a goal we can all set for ourselves.
3 years ago

























1 comment:
I agree about the compassion thing. I agree that we need to be able to get along DESPITE our differences in political/social/moral issues.
I posted a speech Barack Obama did a few months back, and I loved what he said. It's essentially the same thing.
I love what he said about "Welcome to my house, too."
I don't think anyone thinks Dems can't be Christians. I know I certainly don't hold this belief. I guess some people do, but I don't. Who am I to say that?
Dem does not equal non-Christian. But there are Dems who most certainly are ungodly...and those who use religion to their advantage when they don't even believe. Obama is not one of them in my opinion. He is the real thing.
I will tell you this right now. There are many of his positions that I STAUNCHLY oppose, but if I had to choose right now between him and Rudy Guiliani, he would get my vote.
Are you shocked?
Post a Comment