Friday, May 04, 2007

Have You Thanked Your Mom?

Right now, if you were ever in any kind of extracurricular activity when you were in school, and if you were in school 20 or more years ago, go to the phone, call your mom and say "Thanks!"

Thanks for being in a dark parking lot at 11:00 at night waiting for buses to pull up, not know when they would get there, not knowing if they left to come home on time, basically not knowing if everything was even alright until the buses pulled up.

I was in band, my sister was in band and on the drill team, and I know that my mom waited until all hours of the night for us to get home from football games in Houston, or from marching contest in Little Cypress or any other contest that we went to. She did so without the knowledge of when we would arrive. She went back and forth between the house and the school waiting.

Why do I bring this up? Why is it so important to say thanks? Just think about it - our kids, or at least their friends, have cell phones. If they are going to be late, they call. If they haven't called, we call them. We always know when the bus will arrive at the school. We don't have to sit for hours waiting and wondering.

My kids don't have cell phones. But their friends do. I can call and find out where they are and when they will be home. I don't have to drive all the way across town only to find out they won't be there at the expected time. And I am grateful. So I called my mom tonight while I was waiting for Brenham and I said "Thank you".

If your mom ever did the same, call her. It's time you said "Thanks!"

No comments: