Friday, December 12, 2008

I cannot believe 2008 is almost over. Where does time go? It seems to go faster every day. Lots has happened in our family this year and I hope you like this little trip through 2008 Adams Family history.

We, once again, spent the year with James going back and forth between home and DC when he could. This is year four, in case anyone is counting. We are used to it and deal with it as best we can. We love it when James gets home and don't like so much his leaving.

I turned 40 this year. Big year. I don't know what this new decade is going to hold for me, but I am waiting for the big AHA! that Oprah seems to thinks comes with 40. I am the PTA President again this year. This year, though, I don't seem to have much help, do I am doing way more that I should have to be doing. I had a goal of losing a few pounds this year, but I didn't quite make it. So, that is my goal for next year. I am not going to say it is a resolution, but I am really going to try. I realized this year that I am shrinking. I am looking up to Brenham and Nicholas now and David is getting closer and closer to being as tall as me. I feel like the wicked witch of the east - "I'm shrinking, I'm shrinking!" I guess that happens.

Our year has been interesting weather wise. In September, we once again had to evacuate due to a hurricane. Hurricane Ike roared on shore on September 13th. We rode out the storm in Lafayette with my Aunt Melba and Uncle Rayburn. Love them! Then, we went to Washington, DC. And now, in December, we had a rare snow storm. Some places had 6 inches of snow. Not a usual occurance for us, so it was fun!

Brenham, like I said, is growing. He is about 5'6" now. He is in 10th grade this year. Only two years left of high school, can you believe it? He went with the band to Disney World back in February. This was the first time that he went away for such a long period of time without me. He had a great time! He made a Superior at UIL Solo & Ensemble (Choir & Band) and advanced to the state S&E competition in Austin. He made a 3 there, but got the experience of competing at that level, so he will be prepared for this year. He is already loading up his (future) letter jacket with patches. Last spring he got his learner's permit and is driving with my instruction. He is a real good driver, I really do not think I will need to worry about his driving. He took the summer off and just lazed around. This was the first summer he has not participated in Beaumont Kidmunity Theater since he was in 1st grade. This fall he auditioned for and made the UIL All-Region Choir. He made the mixed choir and was advanced to the area round. Unfortunately, he did not pass that level. He was very sad about that. But, he still has two more tried to get to state and I know he will make it. Coming up for him is a trip to DC to attend the Presidential Inauguration. He will be going with his choir. He is really excited about this trip.

Nicholas is my baby. Well, he was. He is about the same height as Brenham, if not maybe a smidge taller. Have you seen the mustache? And he is only in 8th grade. There's not much to say about Nicholas. He participate in Little Dribblers Basketball last winter, but decided not to this year. He is second chair in the trumpet section in band this year. His friends are important to him. I am not sure how he will do when we move. But, he has the ability to make friends easily, so I don't think I will worry too much. He will be 14 on Chrismas Day. He is such a sweetheart. He is the calm in the storm that is usually my life. Nothing really bothers him (well, except David).

David just turned 11. His bedtime was changed to 9:30 and I think that is the most exciting thing that happened to him all year. He is my sportsman. He played basball in the spring and is now gearing up in Little Dribbler's Basketball. His team is the Gopers. Not too intimidating, but what can you do? He and Nicholas got new bunk beds this year, but for some reason he chooses to sleep on the floor most nights. He doesn't like the top bunk, the window is at bed level and that seems to bother him. He has gotten better at messes. He can make the biggest ones in no time flat. He had his tonsils taken out this year, and for a while his voice sounded really funny, but it is back to normal now.

We have had a very interesting year. From hurricanes to snow, things have been different around here. Life has been pretty good to us. We have been blessed not to have had any serious illnesses or accidents this year. Here's wishing that all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments: