Sunday, August 01, 2010

Why?

Today Nicholas informed me that we needed dog food, so off to PetsMart I went. I got the dog food and got in line behind a lady who had a chihuahua that was (of course) barking at everything that moved. Chihuahua's do that.

There was a lady standing there who told her, "it's ok, I'm used to it, I have 65 at home." I asked her, 65 dogs? She said 65 chihuahua's. I asked her why? She said she raised them. I knew then that something wasn't right.

I got right behind her in a line that the manager opened and she proceeded to tell me that she not only raises them, but she doesn't work for her dogs, her dogs work for her. She said she made more off her dogs last year than she did on her job with the State of Texas. This woman doesn't raise dogs, and in my opinion, she doesn't have any love for them either. She is running a puppy mill. It is just that simple.

I have two dogs. You can see the pictures of them on the right hand side of this blog. I love my dogs. Both of them have been neutered and both of them are loved very much. Gromit was adopted in the WalMart parking lot when he was a couple of months old. David picked him up, fell in love with him and he became part of our family. When we no longer have Gromit there will be a hole in our family that nothing will ever fill.

Coal, my yorkie-poo, is my baby. Yes, I did find him on southeasttexas.com, and yes, I did pay money for him. I was looking for a specific dog, and I found him. That is the only time I will ever pay for a pet. I felt sure that the person I bought him from was not running a puppy mill or I would not have bought him.

There are so many dogs and cats out there that need a good home. Why would anyone in their right mind have 65 dogs and breed them just to have more dogs out there that will probaby end up in a shelter?? People have no common sense sometimes.

One rescue shelter I am aware of through a friend is Furry Pals Rescue. They are located in Houston. You can also go to your local Humane Society or SPCA shelter. Don't help those puppy mills stay in business. You can find a pure bred dog in any shelter out there usually. Adopt, don't purchase. I won't purchase ever again.

The cuties in the pictures are (top to bottom) BigMac, Chewbecca and Snookums. They were resuced recently by Furry Pals. They are full bred yorkies. How cute are they? And they don't have a forever home. Why go to a breeder to get a yorkie when you can help one of these precious babies have a forever home?

A little love is all it takes. You can get a wonderful addition to your family by going to a shelter. The dogs that are there just want to be loved and in some instances, they just want to be safe. So next time adopt. You will be happy you did.

No comments: