Friday, September 03, 2010

Football Returns to Lamar


For those of you who have never heard of Lamar University, that's our little university here in my hometown of Beaumont, Texas. It isn't the biggest college, and it may not be the best college, but it is a good little school that has been missing something for the last 22 years.

Football.

That's right, football. And here in Texas, where Friday night lights are very important, that is something big. Twenty-two years ago, the football program at Lamar was disbanded because of low enrollment and low attendance at the games. We didn't have the best team, but we had a team. And I was in the band that cheered on that team that last season. Well, I am back at Lamar taking classes again and tomorrow night history is going to be made. Football is returning for the Cardinals.

Tomorrow night we will play our neighbors to the east, McNeese University, at their stadium. So, officially, football doesn't return to campus until next week when we play in the newly renovated Cardinal, oops Provost-Umphrey Stadium. But will I wait until next week to see my Cards play?? Nope. I am heading to Lake Charles to see the first game of the first season back of Cardinal football. Wouldn't have it any other way. And next week, I will be sitting in the stands at OUR stadium cheering them on and catching up with some of the other former band members who will be coming to the game.

Football is back big time in Beaumont and I couldn't be more pleased!!

Go Cards!!!

No comments: