I just don't understand people sometimes. Or maybe I do, and that is just as confusing.
Our neighborhood has a community pool. It is for the enjoyment of the residents of our neighborhood and their guests. It is kept up with the monies paid for annual dues. Each house is assessed dues at the first of the year. We have a few problems each year, though. The biggest problem is having people in the pool who are not residents of the neighborhood. People who are not associated with the neighborhood in any way. They just think they can use our pool at will. We are looking at ways to control this.
One way is to have ID cards issued to each resident, including the children, so that they can be identified as residents. Schools do it. Businesses do it. Other neighborhood associations do it. Shouldn't be a problem, right? Why do people have a problem with it?
2 years ago

























6 comments:
What are the reasons people are giving for not wanting ID cards? What are other alternatives?
I agree that having non-residents at the pool (without a resident present)is a problem. I think ID cards are a good option, although I have not sat in on any conversations on the topic.
I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of the argument. I hope I remember to come back and read what you write. :)
ls
That's just the thing, there is no reason given except that they do not want their picture on it. How ridiculous is that? Why have id if not to show who you are?
And by the way, one person in particular expressed this opinion and that person never has anything positive to say at the meetings.
(I thought we had lost you, ls. Good to hear from you!)
I can relate to this issue, because I use to live in a complex with a nice pool and neighborhood teenagers would crawl over the (rather tall) fence and go swimming. They were loud and disruptive, as teenagers often are, and it was all very annoying. On the flip side, I vacationed at a complex in Hawaii where the site manager was a Pool Nazi, standing on his balcony yelling at the guests about every infraction: running, jumping in, food, kids' pool toys, etc. It was horrible.
The first question that comes to my mind is who will be checking the ID cards? Or will the ID cards also be key cards that open the gate? Second question is who will be kicking out the trespassers? Do you have a security guard or will you depend on residents?
Good luck with this one. Try to keep a sense of humor about it all, because it sounds like you've got a neighborhood curmudgeon who won't . . . I don't think you're going to get him to smile for his ID picture!
maybe it's because they will have to carry the card in their bathing suit top...or bottom...i think kim is the pool nazi!!!ha ha ha
I am not the pool nazi. Sheri.
So basically the only argument given is that an ID with a picture is unwanted?
Is it because they don't like the way they look in a picture? They don't want to take time to take a picture? The financial aspect? I'm not being sarcastic - I just don't understand.
I think our pool has usually been pretty laid back with no one barking out rules, at least when I've been there. I'm not afraid to ask a kid to be careful running(if it doesn't appear his mama's there and it doesn't look safe) or kindly ask the big boys to please stop throwing the football in the direction of the little ones - but I don't bark. And I honestly can't recall ever seeing anyone bark.
So I think our problem lies more toward the lenient. What I've seen more of is people who clearly don't live in the neighborhood (and don't even try to hide it) just pack it in and haul out all the kids for a swim. If I'm there at the pool that day by myself with no other residents, how am I supposed to handle this?
What I usually say if it's pretty obvious is, "What street do you live on?" You can see right away the ones who don't live here.
If there was an ID system, I could say, "Did you bring your pool ID with you today?" It's just so much less confrontational.
I REALLY like the idea of the ID card opening the gate. Key cards could be coded different ways. Children's under a certain age would not open the gate at all. Their parents' card would have to open the gate.
Come to think of it, this is actually a good idea for liability/safety reasons as well.
So who is the person that objects?
Sorry I've been MIA. I'm just busy, busy.
Hugs, ls
Post a Comment