Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It Infuriates Me

I was on my way home today when I saw something that totally infuriates me. There was a car on the road with two adults in the front seat, both wearing seatbelts....the one in the passenger's seat holding an INFANT! I called 911.

I just don't understand why grown women and men, parents, don't buckle their kids in the car. They buckle themselves in. They make sure that they are safe, but don't care if their kids are. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen kids jumping around cars while their parents are buckled in.

In my car, you better be in a seat belt or I am stopping the car to wait until you are. And if you give me any flack, and you are one of my kids, I am beating your ass until you buckle up. I have stopped on the side of the road, gotten out of my car and put seat belts on myself. As a result, my kids know that they better buckle up before the car starts moving, and they do without argument.

The seat belt law was passed on September 1, 1985. When it was first passed, I wasn't too wild about wearing my seat belt. I only buckled up when I saw a cop, if then. I just didn't like it. That all changed on March 14, 1991. That was the day that my Maw Maw died because she wasn't wearing her seat belt. She was thrown through the front window of her car. Ever since then I have always worn my seat belt and I always will.

So, people, wear your seat belt. It could save your life. And for the sake of all that is good and holy in this world, buckle up your children. Make them wear a safety restraint. Spank them if you have to. Don't move the car if they refuse to buckle up. Get out of the car and don't go unless they buckle up. I don't care how much they cry. At least you can hear them cry. When they die because of your negligence, how will you feel?

2 comments:

Sheri DelMage said...

i think people who hold their kids in their laps while driving or let them run around in the car should be pulled over and slapped really hard.

Anonymous said...

I have been known to follow a car and call 911 and give the dispatcher the license number and tell them the situation. And do you know that they ALWAYS treat me like I'm an idiot?

My children are five years old and they still ride in the age-appropriate carseats when most children their age do not ride even in booster seats.

I'm sorry, but a child's safety is more important than convenience.

This is one of those topics that makes me want to go all Julia Sugarbaker!! ;)

I've missed your blog, Kim. My computer crashed again for the THIRD TIME THIS SUMMER. It's still in the shop. I'm on the laptop and I had to DIG through my blog comments until I found one of yours so I could find your blog since I Had it on the favorites on my other computer.

leisa