Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No Plastic For Me

I went grocery shopping on Saturday, and since I hadn't been "grocery shopping", you know, getting what you need in one trip, in a while I got lots of groceries. Enough for two weeks. And guess what?

I brought home ZERO plastic bags. ZERO!

I have been purchasing the bags that all of the stores are selling, and I have a pretty good collection. HEB bags, Kroger bags...I had enough to bring home all of my groceries. I was proud of myself.

I was even more proud that I actually remember to bring them in the store. (well, I had to send Brenham back to the car to get them, but they made it in.)

Try it sometime. Start by buying a bag at the store when you go in to purchase a few items, you know in the middle of the week when you need milk and a couple of other things. The bags are only $1 each, so one at a time won't hurt. Then, start taking them in when you do your weekly grocery shopping. You don't have to use the ones you bought at the stores where you bought them. I used my HEB and Kroger bags at Walmart (Walmart bags don't have a card in the bottom, so I don't like them as well.)

So, anyway, I am trying to do my part. I take the plastic bags I do have to be recycled and I use my cloth bags. Try it, you might like it.

4 comments:

Eric Dion Baker said...

Hey Sis - We do the same thing! We have a nice collection of bags from all the local places (and even a few fancys from Whole Foods). With 7 of us, we don't have enough yet to carry *all* the groceries, but we're on our way!!

Sheri DelMage said...

If I use the paper bags, I'll have to start buying plastic garbage bags for the garbage cans in the bathrooms and litter box. I recycle my plastic bags as garbage bags.

Kim said...

But the garbage bags are at least, or should be, biodegradeable since they are designed to go to the landfill. Walmart bags aren't. I will bring you all of mine. You will have can liners for ages.

Kim said...

I have to say that I use them for can liners as well. I just won't have as many now. I sometimes forget to take my bags in so I have to get plastic.

I saw in HEB the other day small bags like for one thing. Cute!